|WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL GOLDEN NORTH SALMON DERBY WEBSITE!
The 75th Annual Golden North Salmon Derby is On!
August 13-15, 2021!
New Addition to the Derby - TEAMS!!!|
Up to $75,000, $25,000, and $10,000 High Five
Prizes for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams!
"TEAM" Prize Sponsors
TEAM Rules NEW!!!
- Each team must have a name.
- Maximum of 4 fishermen per team.
- Each team member must purchase a team derby ticket.
- $100 team entry fee per person, regardless of age.
- Team must fish from one boat.
- Require boat identification for each team.
- Replacement fishermen must have team derby ticket validated by a dock crew member before heading to the fishing grounds.
- Total number of fish entered wins.
- In case of a tie, the earliest final entry wins.
- 1/2 of team entry fee goes toward team mystery prizes.
- Only team members can fish on a boat.
- Team members can also compete for individual prizes.
- Team member fish entered for individual prizes will also count towards team fish total.
- Only non-weighed fish qualify for scholarship prizes.
- Only kings and cohos that are marketable are acceptable towards team totals.
- All State of Alaska regulations and bag limits apply.
- All derby rules apply.
- Any disputes will be ruled upon by the Derby Co-chairs during the derby.
- Continued disputes can be appealed to the Board of Directors at the derby certification meeting scheduled for August 17, 2021. Their decision is final.
- Emergency replacement boats or fishermen can be authorized up to a day in advance by Derby Committee designees below:
- Chrissy McNally - 907-723-9307
- Megan Hillgartner - 916-712-8319
- Ron Somerville - 907 321-1236
- Shawn Hooton - 907-723-4668
2021 Awards Night!
***FACE MASKS REQUIRED to pick up prizes***
Thursday, August 19, 2021 at Centennial Hall.
5:30 PM: Doors open scholarship & special prize pick up.
Winners or designated representatives must attend awards night, and must present their entry and weigh-in ticket stubs in order to claim their prizes. TSI asks that only winners or their designated representatives attend the event. The official list of all prize winners will be available here on Wednesday, August 18th. Special social distancing protocols will also be announced on the website and Facebook prior to the Awards Night. Winners of the Scholarship Fund and Special prizes must show their scholarship fish ticket to claim their prize from Territorial Sportsmen, Inc. on awards night.
7:00 - 9:00 PM:
- Remarks from Derby Co-Chairs
- Diamond Ring Raffle
- High Fives Awards
- Top Weighted Fish Awards
The Top 50
Prizes! (plus #75)
The first 50 contestants catching the largest salmon will have their choice of any one of the prizes except that first prize goes to the largest fish and prize number 75 is reserved for the person catching the 75th top weight. With the exception of the 1st and 75th place prizes, the 2nd place finisher gets his or her choice of remaining prizes, then the 3rd place winner and so forth, until all prizes are claimed. Only one of the top 50 prizes will be awarded to each contestant. In case of a tie, the earliest entered weighed fish will receive the highest standing. If winners or their designated representative are not present on awards night to claim prizes, unclaimed prizes will revert to the derby committee.
Diamond Ring Raffle|
3/4 ct Diamond Ring!
Every fish turned in (weighed, scholarship, & Team) will receive a little container with a "take one" raffle ticket, an acrylic fake diamond, and a mint.
The winning Raffle number and 4 alternates will be announced on Sunday night following the Derby!
Those five folks will need to be at the Awards Ceremony (Centennial Hall @ 7:00 pm) where the Diamond Ring will be given out near the beginning of the event.
64th Golden North Salmon Derby winner TED QUINN won with a 26.0-lb King!!
(photo courtesy of Juneau Empire)
The Golden North Salmon Derby is a fun filled summer fishing event that began in 1947. People from all walks of life in the community participate. Families, people (young and the young-at-heart) that love to fish, and even some who don't but want to support the purpose of the Derby spend the week-end in pursuit of Kings and Cohos and the chance to compete for the prizes generously donated by local businesses and individuals. Those that turn in fish that are not competing for the top "weightiest" fish receive thank you prizes in appreciation for providing these fish to sell for scholarships for Juneau's young people. The proceeds from the sale of these fish minus the expenses of cleaning and handling are given to the Territorial Sportsmen Scholarship Foundation.
Since 1953 the Territorial Sportsmen Scholarship Foundation has awarded 305 scholarships totaling over 1.7 million dollars to deserving young people.
Four year scholarships for graduating High School seniors are available as well as scholarships for graduate study. Scholarships for vocational training are also available.
Please join us in investing in our young people!
Alaska Humpback Whale Viewing Regulations
*Applies to ALL vessels and crafts
- Do not approach within 100 yards of a humpback whale
- Do not place your vessel in the path of oncoming humpback whales,
causing them to surface within 100 yards of your vessel
- Do not disrupt the normal behavior or prior activity of a whale
- Operate your vessel at a slow, safe speed when near whales
Alaska Region · fisheries.noaa.gov · (907) 586-7236
Alaska Marine Mammal Stranding Hotline: (877) 925-7773
Listen to "live" continuous coverage from 6am to 6pm daily on 800 am / 94.9 fm KINY
Reports can also be heard on KSUP, KXXJ & TAKU 105
Alaska Airlines - The Official Airline of the Golden North Salmon Derby!
Mark Your Calendars!
The 76th Golden North Salmon Derby
August 12, 13, & 14, 2022